The Edible Neighborhoods program functions as a fruit tree orchard spread across our neighborhood. This orchard will directly serve all neighbors living in the Edgewood/Kirkwood community by providing fresh, chemical-free, and affordable fruit to Unearthing Farm & Market. Unearthing Farm and Market is a new food initiative located on Memorial Drive providing equitable access to locally-grown and healthy food.
By purchasing this item, you will be directly supporting the Edible Neighborhood program in Kirkwood/Edgewood by providing funds for ongoing maintenance such as watering, mulching, weeding, pruning, and education!
You can donate by purchasing this item ($50) or you can send any custom donation amount to us using the methods below. When you send the money, please write "Edible Neighborhood"
Cash App: $foodscapes
Frequently Asked Questions:
What is the pricing?
- A fruit tree in your front yard is $75. This includes the tree, mulch, and labor. Front Yard Fruit Tree (Edible Neighborhood Program
- You can donate $50 toward the project, allowing us to be able to plant a tree in a neighbor’s yard who cannot afford it or in a publicly-accessible communal greenspace. Donate a fruit tree by clicking here
- You can also donate $50/year to help maintain the trees.
Why should I participate?
- When you purchase a fruit tree for this program, you are contributing directly back to your community, helping us create a more resilient and equitable local food system.
- You can pick fruit from the tree and we will harvest the remainder
- You will have access to other fruit in the neighborhood-wide orchard
- We take care of the yearly maintenance: mulching, pruning, and fertilizing
What are the requirements?
- Site must be located within either Kirkwood or Edgewood boundaries
- Site must receive at least 4 hours of direct sunlight per day
- Site must either be accessible to the community - along the street or in front-yard
- We will place a sign/marker at each tree, so the public can identify and read about the program
- You must allow us to access the tree for maintenance and harvesting
- If you move away, you must tell the next resident that the tree is a part of our program